The section is in charge of mechanical design activities for CERN detector-related projects. Designers and engineers cover a wide range of disciplines in mechanical engineering, construction, and numerical simulation fields.
The core competencies of the section include design studies, 3D modeling and drafting, integration studies, structural and thermal analyses, composites, fluid-dynamics, multi-physics and structural verifications according to relevant standards and codes.
Activities are carried out relying on a large range of CAD, Finite Element and analytical tools and rapid prototyping techniques (3D Printing)
The section covers as well activities of project engineering, manufacturing support and follow-up, relations with external suppliers, installation and first commissioning.
The section supports Micro-System engineering activities, with expertise and process follow up at the EPFL cleanroom (Lausanne) and with other external partners.
The section has competencies in the following domains:
- Design Solutions (CAD): 3D Modeling and 2D Drafting, Rapid Prototyping (3D printing) and Reverse Engineering
- Advanced FEA Simulation: Structural Mechanics, Thermal, Fluid, Multi-physics
- Static Structural
- Modal analysis
- Transient dynamics
- Harmonic analysis
- Shock &Vibrations: Spectrum Analysis, Random Vibration Analysis, Shock Response Spectrum
- Buckling analysis
- Material and Geometrical non linearities
- Fracture Mechanics
- Thermal Analysis
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Analytical methods and Mathcad library
- Identification of technologies and advanced materials related to particle detectors
- Code compliance verifications
- Metrology, Production follow up, QA, Documentation
- Management of project engineering activities